Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Kids Clothes Week ~ Day 1 ~ The morning after.

So I've decided to partake in the Kids Clothes Week, I've followed this for years, but this is the first time I've been game to join in.

Although they're doing Spring over there, I'll be preparing for the Australian Winter season here. Actually, I've been preparing for this for a few weeks. I've had curtains on the go for the past little while, but have been tracing and cutting patterns when I've found a spare moment, so I actually have a bit of a pile ready to start sewing.

So I decided to approach this with a series of "hangover" shots, or pics taken the next morning (in natural light) to see what's been achieved the night before, on a day by day basis. Provided I'm able to sew every night (hopefully so) AND blog every day (much less likely). However last night I was lucky enough to fit in more than an hour and this was my sewing desk hangover after KCW Day 1.
Snowflake dress nearly, nearly, nearly finished.

A rose cord pinafore dress semi started (this was cut out way earlier, and I only managed to edge a couple of pieces ready for next stage of sewing). I tried to be a bit more efficient in sewing by starting this project with the same pink cotton as I was using for the highlight sewing on the snowflake dress, but it didn't really help much. Sewing two patterns at once? That's asking for trouble.

And then I retired to the couch to spend some quality time with the hubby. And snuck in cutting out another pair of pants ready to sew (cheeky cheeky and I did get some sideways looks).
So all up, I was pretty happy with my KCW Day 1 effort. It took a whole day to get the blog post up, but at least I did it!

Then there was a bit of crafting that went on during the day too as part of a "engaging creatively with children and achieving something at the same time" activity. I kept a sticker sheet from a while ago, that the kids had peeled the stickers off. Thought it would made a good print stencil. So we stuck it on a LS tee like this.
I added a border of contact to protect the rest of the tee from accidents (this shiny bit), and let the boy paint!
 He had fun, I helped him with colour selection and we painted away together.
 Then we pulled away the stencil and...
Yeh it worked! (although I forgot to spin the pic before I uploaded it so its sideways). The tee is actually a skivvy (which I'm not keen on, so now I want to cut the neck off, add some ribbing and it will be ready for wear.

A very productive day all round!


  1. Excellent stencil idea Pam, with nice colour placement ~ well done you two!

  2. I also love the stencil. Being a relative newbie to sewing, I lack inspiration for the detail, this is perfect!

  3. Love the stencil idea! And you've made quite a bit of progress so far.:)