Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Blending into the background

Somehow camo pants seemed to have kicked butt here lately.
I made a pair for the boy last year, due to be worn winter this year. Ottobre 4/2010 9. Pants with rib cuffs in green cord fabric, my second make of this pattern. Its a very wearable pattern (just realised my other pair never got blogged, will add that to my flashback list).
I really like this fabric and wondering if a cargo type dress for me is warranted for Winter?
Hard to see and my photos aren't the best. But there is knee detail, front pockets, back yoke and I did a tiny bit of red detailing in stitching and lining the front pockets.
The rib cuffs at the feet and waist make this pattern very comfortable (so I believe) and also allow for growing by folding the cuffs up to begin with and unfolding them as the wearer gets taller.

Then the little miss got a pair too in some very cool pink and purple animal camo cotton drill.
Ottobre 1/2011 13. Plum cargo pants, complete with side cargo pockets (tied with purple ribbon), front and back pockets and a fake fly - they are simply an elasticised waist so easy to pull on and off.
 Nice detail on the back yoke including some triple stitching detail which looks very effective.
She loves these (thank goodness!) and we had one wear out of them so far - but otherwise we are still  in our summer clothes. I know I'll be regretting it soon, but I've been working on the Winter wardrobes and I can't wait for the chilly weather to come so we can start wearing some of it!

Friday, March 1, 2013

The boy and the ukulele

So I got a bit excited and motivated by the Celebrete the Boy series by Made and Made by Rae. So this shirt was the result of my inspiration.
This one loves his ukulele and was really excited by this fabric I picked up recently.
I've also been spending a bit of time staring at my stash cupboard, dreaming up new outfits and fabric combinations as I stand, and rock, and pat the new baby to sleep, numerous times a day (its quite an enjoyable process actually and often I'm disappointed when he falls asleep and I have to leave and put him in his cot...)
Birch fabric ukuleles (OK, I know they are guitars but in our house all guitars are ukuleles at the moment). 100% organic fabric - nice. The pattern is Ottobre 4/2012 lumberjack polo shirt (#20). But I altered the pattern by splitting the front panel to add the feature fabric in. Teamed with some plain navy knit and mustard ribbing for the sleeves. The front placket was surprisingly pretty easy and looks very effective.   
A little bit 70's rocker (actually a whole lot 70's rocker  - excl. the chest hairs and beard) but I love the finished product, and so does the little man. He was quite happy modelling his new shirt, his red ukulele and singing "Sing a song of sixpence..."  
 Teamed with his ultra cool yellow jeans, this will be a good outfit for this winter.  I'm just a tad scared to wash it - I was so keen to make it, I didn't think to prewash the fabrics. Fingers crossed.