Sunday, April 28, 2013

Kids Clothes Week - Day 6 - the morning after

Another successful couple of days (blogging every day was never going to happen for me).
The end of day 6 saw a number of projects finished! Here's the "morning after" shot with a little pile of neatly folded completed pieces!
The rose cord pinafore was fitted and finished! The pattern is Ottobre 4/2012 #29. Its a great dress, it was really quick to put together - if you don't run out of topstitch thread... I think I'll be making more of these. It looks very cute on too, although I don't have pics of it on. I have a LS tee and matching legging to make too so this will be an entire outfit, but they'll be left for another week.
"Mum, why are you sticky taping my dress to the cupboard?"
"Well dear, everyone seems to be doing it these days"...
Good question.
The bodice is lined with really nice green drill. I love the little sneak peaks you'll get of it when she's wearing it.
The pockets too. I drew grey lines to guide my stitching line for the pockets. That'll come off in the wash. Hopefully.
Then I finished two winter tops for the boy. This one we started together at the beginning of the KCW week, we painted the spots on a skivvy. Then I removed the skivvy neck and replaced it with green ribbing to match the spots.
Someone was pretty happy with it. Particularly as now it goes with his favourite camo pants I made here
I finished this top in a grey and purple stripe. The pattern is Ottobre 1/2013 #20. I like how the ribbing goes along the shoulder seams, it looks good. The fabric (can't remember where I bought it from) was atrocious to sew and consequently the bottom hem looks awful. I couldn't stitch it with my twin needles as it kept missing stitches and getting caught. Zig zag was the only thing that worked and I quite like the finished look of a zig zag, but it still doesn't look great, perhaps I should unpick and finish the seam off without using a contrast colour.
I also finished a jumper that I started making a few weeks ago. Its Ottobre 6/2012 #14. I love how this jumper turned out (sort of - see below) and the neck is very cool. More ukulele/guitars for a ukulele lovin' boy.
Although I love the style, and the pattern was surprisingly easy to follow, I stuffed up quite a few things in the making, ending up with the "interesting" feature stitch lines...
I think it was meant for a t shirt knit fabric as when I finished it and it was way too tight. It was a slim fit, but certainly didn't fit my slim boy. So I added a piece to the width, running from the sleeve to the bottom hem. Not super stylish, but it worked.
Somehow I managed to sew the front to the back, overlocked and topstitched before I finished. Oops. Instead of unpicking I cut an extra seem in on the back shoulder to fit it properly saround the neck (its a bit confusing, I got very confused). Now it fits him nicely and sits well so at least it'll get worn.
So its been a successful Kids Clothes Week for me, not sure if there'll be any action tonight, but I'm pretty happy with my completed pieces to date!

5 comments:

  1. Call your fixes on the jumper, design decisions.;) They look like they were meant to be there to me! Seems like you had a very productive week. I love the rose pinafore...it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey nice blog!! keep posting!! If you need any kids clothes visit www.anupamtextiles.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say fantastic blog! Here is my webpage:
    kids clothes australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, This is a good post, indeed a great job.. You must have done good research for the work, i appreciate your efforts.. Looking for more updates from your side.
    Stock Futures Tips
    NIFTY FUTURES TIPS
    MCX Tips

    ReplyDelete